Thursday, September 1, 2011

Minimizing Sin = Minimizing God's Forgiveness

The other day I read an excerpt out of C.S. Lewis' "The Weight of Glory." One thing he mentioned was that we tend to make excuses for our sin. We want to justify our sin to make us feel better about ourselves. Lewis states, "Real forgiveness means looking steadily at the sin, the sin that is left over without any excuse, after all allowances have been made, and seeing it in all its horror, dirt, meanness, and malice, and nevertheless being wholly reconciled tot he man who has done it. That, and only that, is forgiveness, and that we can always have from God if we ask for it." These few sentences really convicted me. There will be times that I pray to God for forgiveness and I'm not specific. I just ask for God to forgive me for where I've failed Him because I'm too ashamed and embarrassed to verbally tell God what I'm struggling with. I feel like if I leave it unspoken, then the sin isn't as bad. The truth is, we need to see how bad our sin is. When we look at it for what it is, God's mercy is that much greater. When we minimize the sin then we minimize God's forgiveness. 



41 Then Jesus told him this story: “A man loaned money to two people—500 pieces of silver to one and 50 pieces to the other. 42 But neither of them could repay him, so he kindly forgave them both, canceling their debts. Who do you suppose loved him more after that?”
 43 Simon answered, “I suppose the one for whom he canceled the larger debt.”
   “That’s right,” Jesus said.-Luke 7:41-43

No comments:

Post a Comment